Thursday, April 05, 2012

The Littlest Hat Shoppe

Bonjour!
This is my first Viva Las VegaStamps! Design Team post and can't wait to share it with you.

When I got my first Design Team goodies, I was so excited to see a plate of rubber filled with hats :) I instantly knew I wanted to create a hat shop to display them in! All of the adorable little hats can be found on plate #1115. I used top hat on stand, flowered hat on stand, and flowered veil on stand. I also used decorative frieze for the table.
You can view the full video tutorial below :)

I found a baby board book at my local thrift store and cut out the middle of four pages to create a shadow box in the book. I gessoed everything that would be seen and glued all of the pages together.
Next I painted the entire book using Neocolor II water soluble wax pastels.
I drew the outline of my store front on my cover then painted all of the details using acrylic craft paint.

Using JUST the flowered hat band of the veil , I stamped the flowers onto tissue paper using Distress Ink, then glued them into the flower box and added the finishing touches with paint.
I painted a strip of Titanium Buff acrylic paint, stamped the decorative frieze stamp with Distress Ink and glued them into the cover to serve as the display table.

Next I stamped my  hats on stands onto watercolor paper and painted them using Neocolor II's and glitter gel pens. I attached the hats into the shadow box using puffy adhesive mounts and glued the remaining hats on the display table with tacky glue. Then I went around the edge of each hat with a black marker to give it some depth.
I printed out my text and added color with Distress Inks. I glued the title. Chapeau is French for hat... in case you were wondering ;)
Lastly, I drew a decorative border around the frame of the shadow box with white marker and purple glitter gel pen and around the shop sign with white marker only.

Viola'!The Littelest Hat Shoppe :D
I hope you enjoy this project because I think it is adorable!
You can see more of my work on my blog.
Au revoir!

4 comments:

Joe M said...

Creative idea Edie! I would have never of thought to make something like this. Thanks for sharing! :-)

LeslieRahye said...

Fun idea Edie~
I love those little hats! I love the mixed media!

Barbara Rankin said...

Edie, love all the techniques you used. Very creative and different. Love it.

Unknown said...

mmmm looks like it needs to go back to the thrift store, there is no talent in any of these new design team members, ???? what happened to the talented ones you use to have? no offense Terry but you need to get some real talent for this site, mmm you let the real talent go. too bad, cause I got the best of your team on my team now. guess who.