Sunday, October 07, 2012

My Poe-st (pun intended)

I was introduced to Edgar AllanPoe and The Raven in Junior High School. I still remember how we acted out the poem in class. Naturally, I was the star - the Raven. I only had one line but it was the most important of the entire poem, “Nevermore.” I didn’t receive a standing ovation for my performance but a few classmates applauded, and for a moment in time I actually considered acting as a career path.

I still love the unparalleled literary master of the macabre. Poe believed that visual art should not make a clear statement, but rather suggest and evoke emotions and stimulate the mind. I hope my interpretation of The Raven does just that.
After leaving his home in China, Mr. Crow aka Mr.Raven flew to my local Dollar Tree. He is now residing on a slightly crushed eye-medicine box that I retrieved from the Friday garbage.

I don't find it a bit odd that Mr.Raven is wearing a party hat with a
purple pom-pom. Do you?

SUPPLIES
Black Bird
Recycled Box
Scrapbook Paper
Page from an Old Book
Pom-Pom
Ribbon or Paper Trim for hat/scarf
4 Wooden Feet
Glue Gun
Stickles
Moss
Chipboard Clock
Black Ink

VLVS
NEVERMORE STAMP
MIRACLE TAPE
I kept this craft simple because I wanted to highlight the ornate Nevermore stamp from Viva Las Vegas Stamps. The whole project took around an hour and was easy peasy.

DIRECTIONS
1. Cut scrapbook paper to fit box and using Miracle Tape attach to bottom, top and sides of the box.
2. Cover the 4 wooden feet with Stickles. When dry attach to bottom of the box using your glue gun.
3. Make hat for Mr. Raven by rolling up book paper and attach trim and a pom-pom. Dress Mr. Raven in his hat and scarf using Miracle Tape. Bling optional.
5. Attach Mr. Raven to box and then cover the empty area of the top of the box with Miracle Tape. Cover with moss.
6. Make a banner out of plain paper and stamp NEVERMORE. Attach to box. Add your chipboard clock.
7. Mr. Raven is ready to party!!

Poe died on October 7, 1849 at the age of forty. It seems fitting that the cause of Poe’s death remains a mystery. Your thoughts on Edgar Allan Poe? Or Halloween Parties?

3 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

I don't have anything to say about Poe or Parties, but I love your Raven in the Purple PomPom!

Lyneen said...

Love Halloween... Great centerpiece for a party!

Shelley said...

I really love this piece, makes the perfect addition to any Halloween display...or in my case every day of the year display :)

I'd like to invite you to enter this piece into our current challenge at Quoth the Raven which is Anything Poes http://poequoththeraven.blogspot.co.uk/