Thursday, November 29, 2012

VLVS! ATC/Tag/Envelope Combo Swap

Recently, there was a swap at the Viva Las Vegastamps! Forum requiring an #8 tag and a co-ordinating ATC.  The ATC was to be enclosed in an envelope that was attached to the back of the tag.  Both tag and ATC were required to have a VLVS! stamped image.

I decided I wanted to do something with Zentangle®-inspired art, and with a couple of the tangle inspired images available, but I also wanted to do something 3D--really 3D.



Supplies:
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Zentangle Lover 1 1/4 x 2: Item 18817 Plate 1426

Doily 3 x 2 1/4: Item 18849 Plate 1427 


Two #8 Tags-Black Paper
Two #8 Tags-Kraft Paper
Two ATC (3.5 x 2.5 inch) - Black Paper
Two ATC (3.5 x 2.5 inch) - Kraft Paper
Two scraps Black paper approx, 4 x 3 inch & 2 x 2.5 inch
Two scraps Kraft paper approx, 4 x 3 inch & 2 x 2.5 inch

Tim Holtz Distress Inkpad-Vintage Photo
Encore Inkpad-Bronze

May Arts Paper Raffia Ribbon -JP 200y JP16

Sakura Metallic Gel pen: Gold
Pentel White Sunburst Gel Pen

Scissors, Exacto Knife, Self-healing cutting mat, Straight-edge ruler, Miracle Tape, 3D foam dots, velcro closure

To start, I trimmed off about 1/4 inch around the edge of the kraft tag, and then measured and cut out five 1/2 strips from inside.  Then I tangled patterns with gold gel pen on the black tag, and with the white gel pen on the kraft tag.  I used 3D foam dots to attach the kraft on top of the black tag.

On the 4 x 3 inch piece of scrap kraft paper, I stamped the doily image with the Vintage Photo ink, and then cut out the center.  I stamped the 'Tangle a Day' sentiment on the leftover center, and taped both pieces onto the scrap piece of black.  I wanted the tangles beneath to show through, so I used an exacto knife to cut strips out of the center, and taped the medallion onto the tag.

For the ATC, I repeated this process reversing the kraft and black papers, so the black had strips cut out (3 instead of 5).  I used the Zentangle Lover sentiment, switching to the Encore inkpad, because it shows up on black paper.  It wasn't necessary to cut out any strips this time.




To make the envelope I cut the second black tag in half, length-wise.  I turned the second kraft tag length going sideways, and placed the ATC in the center.   I folded one side of the tag over the ATC, and creased at the fold.  Then, I folded and creased the other side.  Taking one half of the cut black tag, I folded and creased from the bottom (the end without a grommet) about 1 inch, and about 2 inches from the top.  Opening the left side of the kraft tag, I taped the bottom inch of the black half to it and taped the other side to middle interior.  The velcro closure was added.

Then I taped the whole envelope to the back of the tag.

I tangled, gold on black, white on kraft, where the envelope showed, and slid the ATC inside, folding the top half of the black over to enclose it.

As it happened, the May Arts paper raffia ribbon I received as part of my DT package was nicely color-coordinated, and made the perfect loop for my tags.

Check out the VLVS! Store for all your stamping needs and the  VLVS! Blog for new projects and news every day. Follow VLVS! as the VLVS! Forum - VLVS! FB - VLVS! Pinterest - VLVS! Twitter.








3 comments:

Shirley said...

Sandra, you are so talented! First off let me say how you used gold pen on the black and white pen on the kraft was GENIUS!!! The composition, colors, flow...well...EVERYTHING about them is OUTSTANDING! You do such lovely work. Thank you for sharing your talent with us! Love love love this project!

Anonymous said...

Look great and I love the colours

Sandra Strait said...

Thank you both very much!