Saturday, March 02, 2013

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

When I was around nine or ten my best friend Rita and I decided to hold a contest. Who could make the largest gum foil ball? Back then gum sticks came in a pack of five and each stick of gum was wrapped in a thin piece of paper stuck to an aluminum sheet. It took some patience but after stuffing each piece of gum into our mouth, we would carefully separate the foil from the paper and then roll the foil into a ball.

I honestly can’t recall how long our contest lasted, or who won, but I distinctly remember a huge argument over the accusation of cheating with Reynolds aluminum foil!
 
I decided to do a bit of research and found that our idea wasn’t exactly unique. Recently on eBay a vintage six pound gum foil ball sold for $299.99! I never received any money or notoriety from my ball, but am now having a bit of regret that I didn’t save it.
 
When I saw the adorable Tinfoil man stamp on the VLVS website I knew I just had to try my hand at making a real foil card. It was easier than I thought and I love the way it turned out.




Supplies



Cardstock – white and gray

Silver Stickles

Black/White Patterned Paper

Aluminum Foil

Embossing Folder
 
I just made a simple greeting card and layered black cardstock on the cover. To emboss the tinfoil I used Miracle Tape to tape down the foil to a piece of cardstock. I then ran it through my Vagabond, cut the embossed piece to the desired size and glued it to the card. I added Silver Stickles to the stamped hats and then glued it to the card.

Have you ever made a tinfoil chewing gum ball? Or a tinfoil hat? The closest thing to a tinfoil hat that I ever wore was using a frozen orange juice can as a hair roller. Can you top that??

No comments: