Friday, April 05, 2013

Let the Music Play

So one night back in Febuary, I was watching a Ustream from Journal Artista. On that show she did a project from the book Kaleidoscope by Suzanne Simanaitis. She was making postcard backgrounds from light weight chipboard(cereal box). There was a list of different things you had to do and each thing was timed. I didn't follow along like some others did, but I did write everything down.I tried it and it was so much fun and very addicting.

Here is the result of I did using Viva Las VegaStamps!

 I cut up a box of hot cereal. Using the front and box of the box. I gessoed both pieces of the side with the printing. You can do front and back I did only the fronts. Then I got my timer app that I downloaded on my Kindle and set it to either 5 or 10 minutes for each thing. The first thing I did was taking some ink pads and used them as stamps on there. Then I took a sharpie and wrote where I wished to go(VLVS! store was on of the places!). Then I took 2 craft paints in light colors and painted wherever on the chipboard. I then tore some not so cute scrapbook paper and glued them on with a glue stick. I scribbled with color pencils. and did some more tearing and gluing with magazine pages. Then 2 more craft paints in darker colors and painted where ever. It starts to look like a hot mess at this pint. But relax it gets better.

Now you take a black stamp pad and some VLVS! and stamp. I used the Water Drop background and the train track straight stamps. I know you cant really see it but they are there. melted in the background. Then I added some texture. I used some punchenllia and some sprays. You can also use paint. Using bubble wrap is fun too. You can see its starting to come together. Then I took some alphabet stencils and a number mask and sprayed with them Lindy's spray. I went back and added some more stamping and also did some drips with the S.E.I Tumble die in black.

Once I was happy with it I cut them to 4x6 sizes. I was able to get 1 post card with each piece of chipboard. I edge the sides with black craft paint. Now once the background is done its time to decorate it. I made some washi tissue tape using the brick background stamp, white tissue paper and Miracle tape. I cut three pieces of it and cut triangles to make a chevron banner. I stuck them on the corner of the postcard. 

On white cardstock I stamped the cat with headphones stamp and colored her in with Prisma color pencils. I did light colors on her. I fussy cut her out and used Miracle tape to attached to the postcard. I then stamped I wish my life on white card stock. cut the lines apart and glued on the postcard with glossy accents. I went around the words with Gelly roll clear star pen. 

This was a lot of fun to do. I like this project so much I did go out and get the book...well not really I ordered it online. lol Hope you all try it!





Stamps used

Items used
cereal box weight chipboard
gesso
sharpie
glue stick
4 craft paints
scrapbook papers
magazine pages
color pencils
sprays
stencils
punchenllia
bubble wrap
white card stock
black memento ink pad
gelly roll pen
glossy accents

2 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Fantastic postcard!

Dana said...

Great project Sheri!! I love that quote! It sure would make life a little simpler!