Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Welcome to a Winter Wonderland... October's 12 Tags of 2013 Viva Las VegaStamps! Style!!!


Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to with my take on T!m Holtz' October installment of the 12 tags of 2013. I had to break the Halloween habit... and finally move on to the winter holidays. And since I am creating a winter version of this tag... I also am adding a splattering technique to give the effect of snow falling for the Craft Stamper Take It, Make It Challenge #5.


On a 4" x 6 1/2" section of off white cardstock, I created the marbelized background using Ranger Distress Paints (colors Weathered Wood, Crushed Olive, Dusty Concord and Antique Linen). I applied a second layer of just Weathered Wood and Antique Linen to tone down the bright colors.


I heat set to dry completely. Using an ink blending tool I applied Broken China, Weathered Wood and Iced Spruce Distress Inks around the edges. I completed the background by splattering with a brush Picket Fence Distress Stain.


I needed a frame for this month's tag technique and I don't have one for this purpose... BUT... I do have a lacy oval frame stamp (Doily #18849) that would be perfect. I could use Ranger Embossing Ink and a glue heat embossable powder to add the Distress Glitter... NAH! I want MORE DIMENSION. So I'm got out my Amazing Mold Putty and made a border mold of my stamp.

**WARNING** You need to thoroughly cover your stamp with petroleum jelly to protect your stamp - the rubber of the stamps and Amazing Mold Putty touching are reactive with each other. Watch closely and limit the time of stamp in contact with mold putty and remove it as soon as curing is completed.


As you can see here with stamp removed from mold. Some of the Amazing Mold Putty has stuck to stamp, which I cleaned off with soap and water immediately so the detail of my stamp is not clogged up and to stop any reaction the two compounds may have.


Now with a mold of my decorative border stamp - I filled it with Creative Paperclay® and let it cure. When paperclay is dried I inked and covered with Ranger Embossing Ink and heat embossable glue powder; then dredged in Antique Linen Distress Glitter. I went back with Vintage Photo and Broken China Distress Inks to add some depth and color to the edges.


I stamped several stamps (see list below) creating a collage scene using Weathered Wood Distress Ink and also Stone Grey Staz-On Ink. I really love how the Distress Ink just fades into the painted background giving subtle depth. I stamped snowflakes (see list below) with the embossing ink and applied the heat embossable glue powder; then applied a blue iridescent glitter to give the snowflakes shimmer.

Welcome to a Winter Wonderland...


The finishing touch was a Tattered Angels vintage icicle chipboard embellished with Distress Inks and a combination of blue iridescent and Antique Linen Distress Glitter. I accented Santa Collage #18933 with a little color using water brush and Ranger Distress Markers. Because of warping and to give the tag some stability to support the frame and icicles, I mounted the tag to chipboard with a section of Miracle Sheet cut to size and I embedded a sheer organza ribbon to act as a hanger from the top.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Viva Las VegaStamps used: Small Snowflake #18945; Medium Snowflake #18947; Large Snowflake #18946; Jingle Bells 10686; Early in Morning Swahili Script #1692; Christmas Trees Large #18942; Christmas Trees Small #18941; Santa Collage #18933; and Doily #18849 (oval lace border used to create mold). Supplies used: Cardstock; Stone Grey Staz-On Ink; various Ranger Distress inks and Picket Fence Distress Stain; Ranger Embossing Ink; various Ranger Distress Paints; Miracle Tape, Diamond Glaze Dimensional adhesive; Creative Paperclay®Amazing Mold Putty; Antique Linen Distress Glitter; Iridescent Blue Glitter; Ranger Distress Markers; and Heat Embossable Glue Powder.


Thanks so much for dropping by. Have you entered the monthly challenge - you have two (2) days left to make a creation using the inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win more RUBBER! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, you definitely want to subscribe to the blog feed and to the Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps! store. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure!  Sb

4 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Fantastic use of fantastic techniques. I love it!

Mrs Pretzel said...

Totally cool!!

Trish Latimer said...

LOVE this, fabulous effect and such wonderful use of colour! Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Blog Challenge!

Chrissie said...

What a fabulous effect you have created here, there is so much depth of colour and a wonderful lustrous finish!
Thanks so much for joining in the challenge at Craft Stamper this time!
Chrissie