Monday, May 04, 2015

Challenge Inspiration - Her Wings by DeeDee Catron

Hi folks! :) DeeDee (Marketing and Artistic Director for VLVS!) here today to inspire you for our brand new challenge

The challenge mood board is :


I loved the color scheme, the boldness and the patterns. I also adore butterflies but moved away from the actual image and more towards a sentiment that was imagery heavy. 

I was having a hard time in the beginning trying to use so much red, BUT, it only gave me the opportunity to show you just how "loose" your inspiration can be. So without many more words, here is the piece I worked up: 


The base is an old piece of music note ephemera. I prepped it with two coats of clear gesso. This not only sealed the paper, but also made a sturdier primed base for me to work on top of.



Then I dove right in with some mark making using found objects (in this case, a recycled bangle) and some Golden fluid acrylic. A bit of water and working around in the background gave me this washed look.



Then there's a bit of dripping and dropping and some journaling with a fine liner.



After I had the background complete I got to work on the middle of the circle with some beautiful Golden Fluid Acrylics in Magenta and Orange. Using my fingers, the two colors and a tiny bit of water I worked up the bright bold red I was looking for. I finished everything off with the most important piece... the winged sentiment. I stamped Her Wings Were Made Of in archival ink by Ranger on watercolor paper. I trimmed it apart and glued it down with Matte Medium. Then I was done! :) 

Now stop on over to the Mood Board post and link up to win!

2 comments:

TangledBlueRose said...

Really beautiful and gorgeous! I loveeee the red!~kim

by belle said...

Awesome inspiration!!