Friday, October 25, 2013

October 31 - by GDT Kathy Clayton

Hi, Kathy here . . . I'm back again!!! Last time I showed you a mixed media layout I did, so I thought I would show you a mixed media "tag". As many of you know, I am still pretty new at doing mixed media . . . but I am in LOVE with it. I try to add something extra to everything I do now, even to most of my CAS projects. :)

Since I absolutely LOVE Halloween, I decided to combine the best of both worlds . . .mixed media and Halloween. After a couple false starts, I finally got it together. Here's how it turned out:



VLVS products used:
Kids with Giant Jack 'o Lantern stamp #19209 http://www.vlvstamps.com/latest-releases-summer-2013/kids-with-giant-jack-o-lantern-3-1-4-x-3-1-4.html
Brick background #19077 http://www.vlvstamps.com/brick-background-2-1-4-x-5.html
High Gloss Embossing Powder
Miracle Tape


Other products: Mischievous by MME, wood paper from MME, UmWowStudio October 2012 kit, chipboard, cardboard, plastic lid, block letters from Tim Holtz, Vintage Photo and Black Soot distress ink, gesso, orange glitter, Timeless, Taupe & Tattered Leather mists, geltos (banana & blood orange), black Pitt pen, sandal & latte alcohol inks, cheesecloth, misc. flowers & grass, Tim Holze bottles, misc. dictionary pages, and misc. bottle labels,



The first thing I did was take and 2 of the orange pieces of paper from the Mischievous by MME and cut them to 9 1/2" x 12. Then cut the top two (2) corners to make them into a big "tag". Then using miracle tape adhered the paper to each side of the chipboard and then distressed it. Then using the brick background, I embossed it here 'n there on the front of the tag. Taking my dictionary pages, I distressed them with distress inks and then glued them on each side of the tag. Then using three (3) sprays (Timeless, Taupe & Tattered Leather),sprayed around the tag. I also sprayed some misc. pieces of cardboard and using glossy accents, put glitter on my lid . . . then adhered to my tag along with the cardboard pieces..I also colored my stamped
image and adhered it above the lid.


I used some wood paper and made my fence. But since I didn't like the color, I used Sandal and Latte alcohol inks and changed the color. Once it was dry, I adhered it on each side of the tag so it would bow out.


I fussy cut "O-C-T-O-B-E-R" from the block letters and used my geltos on them to help them match my tag a bit better. Using a glue gun, I adhered the letters to the outside edge of my lid. I also glued bats in three (3) places.


Using a burlap-wrapped toilet paper roll, I placed it behind my fence to use it like a table. I adhered several small bottles and added some fake grass and flowers.


I also sprayed some cheesecloth . . . then added that and a small book & tag from UmWowStudio Oct. 2012 kit. Added a few more drops of spray and I was done.


Thanks so much for stopping by today. If you want to know how you can win a $20 gift certificate from VLVS from ME, visit my blog "UpintheNightwithKat.blogspot.com" for details. Thanks again!!!


5 comments:

VicR said...

Oh WOW, Kathy, I LOVE this piece!
Absolutely Awesome with all your creative detailed additions. tfs
VickiR in OH

Sandra Strait said...

Wonderful! I love the little fence!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tag!

BethW said...

Knock my socks off fantastic-this is how you do Halloween!

Chark said...

amazing work!